Thursday, September 24, 2009

My creative space

My creative space

It's all a bit frantic around here this week. I've had a bad cold and have been trying to apply for jobs whilst also trying to get my kit together for the grand opening next weekend of the "Material Arts Studio Gallery" in Braidwood. That's where I'll be selling my boxes, sunnyboys and crochet flower brooches, alluded to a couple of months ago. Coincidentally my parents will be down that weekend and I'm just a little but excited by the whole event. I feel like I've grown up, or something.

It's been a hard slog - not just the making, but formulating an artist's statement for display in the gallery, and calculating a price for my items while considering the gallery commission and what I think people will be happy to pay. Yesterday, in the middle of a runny-nose attack, I had to dress in something other than polka dot PJs, put some makeup on, do something with one-inch long hair, and take a self portrait. I hate photos being taken of me. It took me about an hour, but I think I have something I am happy with. I still have to find a holder for my business cards and a frame for my artist's statement, but I'm on track to deliver tomorrow.

Oh, and I have an interview this afternoon, although it's more of a casting call, really. I have no idea what the job is or what it entails - such is the life of a contractor. I've just been told to turn up. I'm wondering, in my blurry headed state, whether it will be acceptable to answer the inevitable question "Tell us about your skills" with "Look, I do a little bit of everything and I'm good at it, OK? I just want to get the job DONE".

Maybe it's time for a panadol with a cup of tea first?

More creative spaces here.

And don't forget to check my shop for the quasi-sale - prices go up on October 1 but you can make the most of the improved exchange rate now!

16 comments:

  1. Good luck with the interview.

    My only hope of getting a real life job once the kids are in school is rewording all of the life skills I have learnt since having them. I don't think hostage negotiation, riot control, coercion, flat out bribery would sound too good on a CV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with your job , go in your pjs ya never know ! Hope your cold improves .

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the runny nose does not keep you from creating beauty...positive thoughts to you for job~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the interview. As for artists statements, I always find the hardest thing of all is writing about me or what I do so well done for getting through it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the casting call goes well and you are feeling better soon. Good luck with the grand opening - how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the interview went well. (did you take the journal). And good luck with the gallery opening. Things sound very busy down buttontree lane! Love the hippos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck. At least there's no chance of getting bored in your space at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, good luck with everything! It all sounds very exciting over at your place!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a sale i love THANKYOU. hope you lurgy goes and the job comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting (the gallery I mean, not the runny nose!).

    Good luck with the job interview - I dunno, getting the work done is a pretty important talent really!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa, lady. Just remember to breathe now. And I'm not talking about anything related to a snotty nose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, exciting stuff going on for you!! Love the elephants!!

    When I was younger and had visions of writing books that got published, I used to think I'd put my cat's picture in place of the author photo. (I didn't have a cat at the time, but I knew I WOULD have a cat at some point.) There are people who like to be in the spotlight, and then there are people who quietly make things and are content to be the more or less anonymous person in the background. I'm one of the second type of people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your interview when well. And that your cold is getting better. Cute elephants and boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting to have your stuff in a gallery. And while it might all seem overwhelming and busy right now, when you do get to stop and relax and have a clear head and can think about it, you'll be able to realise how fantastic this is for you.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the job interview went well.

    I can understand stress, but how exciting about the opening!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck getting everything done - it will all be great in the end I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.