Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Use it all up - secondo giorno

Today's use-it-up ingredient is capsicum. We are swimming in them at the moment, and there are still many more to come from the vegetable patch. A version of chilli con carne has always been a favourite in our house, but I make my own recipe up each time and I never remember what I did the time before as I never write it down. Until now.

I've got a really bad cold, so Mr Quiltingmick banished me from the kitchen and took instruction. It was all a bit ad hoc and based purely on the chef's tastebuds, as I have none this week.


Mexico Mick's Chilli Con Carne - Greek Style

Half a kilo of mince
Two capsicums, seeded and diced
Tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Tin of diced italian tomatoes
Paprika
Dried chilli flakes
Salt, pepper
Pita bread

Chilli con carne - #1

Add capsicums to a heated, oiled saucepan, and stir for a couple of minutes until slightly softened. Remove from pan. Brown the mince in the pan.

Chilli con carne - #3

Add red kidney beans, tomatoes and capsicum. Stir through. Then add 1 1/2 teaspoons of mild paprika (or use more or less to taste), a couple of shakes of chilli flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.

Chilli con carne - #2

While the mince is heating through, cut the pita breads in half, and pop in the toaster until they are warmed through and have opened up. Serve pitas on a plate with chilli, a spoon and a smile.

Chilli con carne - #24

For someone who doesn't spend much time in the kitchen (unless it's bacon and eggs, or washing up) he did a great job. It tasted absolutely sensational, even with my dodgy tastebuds.

5 comments:

  1. Yummo! Well done Mr QM - Hope the cold passes soon for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better soon. I also hope one of your use-it-up ingredients might just be eggplant, because I'm expecting a 'glut' when I return to my vegie patch next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second the eggplant - that's one plant I want in my veggie patch eventually (when I get around to finishing the backyard).

    Hope you're feeling better soon and good on Mr QM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Failed with the capsicums last year, too. Eggplants and capsicums. Two of things I wish I got right! Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.