Friday, December 7, 2007

Many's the time I've been mistaken

Block of the Month 2007 - block 1 detail

I am a quilter first and foremost. But this year, for the first time ever, I lost my way. I made a lovely quilt in February for myself, then something happened and I lost interest. Perhaps it was getting back into crochet after so long, and making a ripple rug for Hugo that did it. I don't think I will ever know.

In the meantime, I started a mystery block of the month (my fourth!) in February. Much homework should have been done; enough homework that by month 11 - tonight's class - I would have been sewing the quilt together.

Instead I am still appliqueing March's block and I did not bring my sewing machine to class tonight as there would have been no point. But I am back on the path of quilting enlightenment again. I have regained the passion for needle and thread, and I'm sure there will be enough room in my life to do both crochet and quilting.

The Boteh scarf has stalled. The Crocus scarf was doing well until I started hating the edging I was giving it.

Crocus scarf edging

See? I bet you hate it too. I am going to rip it out and put a simple double crochet edge on the ends. Sometimes simple is best.

I've a big weekend planned - swimming in the morning, afternoon tea with a friend we met in Fiji, dinner with our usual "party of six", a knitterly afternoon tea on Sunday, two fruit cakes to bake, a yard to mow, a batch of rumballs to roll, a linen closet to clean, housesitters to train ... and the laundry to be done. All we need is a partridge in the pear tree and we'll know we've gone insane.

Six days to go. Eight days until I feel little toddler arms wrapped around my neck. The wee-wee jiggle has started in earnest.

4 comments:

  1. oh wow, you are gonna be crazy busy! And that quilt photo is just lovely. Please finish it, if only for we readers to get a really good look at it!

    I quite like the edging but can see why you'd want to tone it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy, busy, busy. Little arms are the best though - great incentive to just keep swimming....

    My knitting needles have taken over from quilting, in a similar fashion. Maybe I should alternate projects...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad quilting doing it for you again. Don't know enough about the edging to say - looks fine to me, but I'm going through a frilly phase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah QM you make me laugh!!I'm on the rum-less ball roll today too, i think mmmm delish

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.