Monday, June 1, 2015

Finishing

I finished my red and white quilt with just enough thread - there must be a Tardis of threads out there, because I can't work out how a 60 inch quilt quilted half an inch apart used less than 750 m of thick thread.

image

So for the last few days I've been doing the finishing - the binding, labels and sleeve, and of course burying the threads.

There is something quite exquisite about being so close to the end, but yet so far (hand sewing over 11 metres of binding will make you feel like that). But the slowness of binding, of threading 5 needles at once, of the rhythm of the stitching less than a centimetre apart lends itself to a calmness not usually seen in the way I sew quilts (usually fast, frenetically and a little bit maniacal, but always with a great deal of joy).

image

For the first time in my quilting life (almost 20 years) I followed the instructions on the exhibition pack and made a sleeve to specification. It didn't make an ounce of sense at first, but then that "a ha" moment happened and I'm wondering why I hadn't done it this way before.

IMG_8966

And this year the Guild has provided labels for their special Red and White category. They are quite lovely.

IMG_8969

Ever since they announced the special category for 2015 at the 2013 presentation ceremony, I've been looking forward to entering and seeing the display. Apparently 110 red and white quilts have been entered in the exhibition and I suspect it might be spectacular. I haven't entered the quilt I thought I would, but I've entered something I'm pretty proud of, and stepped outside my comfort zone a little bit (but not too much, because that would be, well, weird.)

2 comments:

  1. Those finishing touches are lovely to do, knowing that soon it will be done and dusted. I see you have binding clips that are colour coordinated with you quilt, nice one! Hmm I don't think I've read the bit about the hanging sleeve, I just did it my way, but now I'm curious. Bring on the Red and White show, it'll be like one big giant devonshire tea, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it! and catch up at the show,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.