Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Blue Japanese Double Gauze Dress

I made a dress using Simplicity 2929, almost 4 years to the day that I made the first version of this pattern.

Simplicity 2929

And this is what's so good about having a blog where you record your makes. I got to see how I made it, how it looked, and what variations I tried. When it came to making this version I decided to do away with my original adjustment of adding a couple of inches of length in the bodice. Looking at these photos, I'm really glad I kept to the original pattern. I still get the blouson look I love, but without all the extra fabric at the waistband.

Simplicity 2929

The fabric is a gorgeous navy blue Japanese double gauze that I purchased at Nomura Tailor in Kyoto. I've sewn with double gauze before, but from Spotlight, and it was pretty horrible as it detached from the punching when I cut it, and washed like a rag. This fabric, on the other hand, sews beautifully, has the most beautiful weight for a dress, and when I wash and dry it on the line, it barely needs ironing. Not bad for 100% cotton, and for a dress I have worn pretty much constantly since I made it.

Lesson learned - avoid Spotlight. Don't get me started on their cotton sateen prints that fade after one wash.

Simplicity 2929

The necklines of all my S2929s have never been as high as the one on the pattern packet - something I am thankful for. I don't like being strangled by my clothes. I didn't make any variations to this pattern except for extending the gathering an inch on each side of the darts, so I get a smoother gather and not so much middle-of-the-boob bunching.

Simplicity 2929

I also couldn't find my embroidery thread box when it was time to sew a thread loop for the back button. So I unpicked the back facing and sewed a fabric loop in. I prefer it - it looks neat. And how perfect is that vintage button?


Simplicity 2929

I'm thinking of making another Simplicity 2929. It's the perfect pattern - quick to put together, comfortable as all heck (I've been to a few Christmas parties wearing this frock, and the elasticated waist e-x-p-a-n-d-s to make things just a little bit easier when seated!

Actually, maybe I should make more than one.

Simplicity 2929

Come back tomorrow or the next day to see if I did.

12 comments:

  1. Looks lovely Michelle -hope you've been enjoying the Christmas whirlwind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite relaxed actually! And I'm staying put in my postcode for the duration so I expect a lot of sewing and a lot of relaxing.

      Thanks Leah! And merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. 'Model-material' Michelle. I hope you have a great Christmas in the cool dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Maria you are HILARIOUS! I am making version B of this pattern for Christmas. Can't wait to show it off! (as long as it works out!! Eek!)

      Delete
  3. Love it! The red belt and shoes look fab too. Did you consider recreating the models pose from the pattern cover? WT??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't, but I think you might be onto something!

      Thanks Emma!

      Delete
  4. That looks fantastic! And yes, the button is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You really can't go wrong with vintage buttons.

      Delete
  5. Ohh you've left us with a cliff hanger. Your dress looks beautiful, it's great to see the little details like the pretty button and loop. The fabric is really beautiful, I like the way at first it looks like big dots but then up close it's little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a cliffhanger solved tonight ... but with another cliffhanger! Sorry! Yep, the fabric is so good - as soon as I saw the navy version (I'd seen it in lemon yellow and wasn't impressed) I knew I would make a skirt with it.

      Delete
  6. Gah! I stumbled upon your post when I was Googling sewing with double gauze after buying what appeared be scrumptious stuff... from Spotlight. Oh bugger. Based on your review above I am now looking forward to my make with even greater trepidation. The pre-wash wrinkled the hell out of the fabric and I'm thinking it's going to be like a dishrag. Your dress however? Gorgeous as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely dress! Don't get me started on that Spotlight and lincraft garbage... I haven't been able t get decent fabric in Australia since Home Yardage back in the eighties.

    I too go to Japan to buy fabric - a sad, sad inditement!

    My name is Gloria, BTW, no-one in particular, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.