Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Back to crochet

Circles scarf - WIP

Before my gallbladder attacked, before Me-Made-March and before I started falling back into quilting I stopped crocheting. I would still do a couple of rows of the same scarf when I went to a Stitch n Bitch, mainly to be social, but I wasn't crocheting any other time. I had tennis elbow in my left arm, which was kinda funny because I played tennis for 20 years and never once got tennis elbow. (I did get runner's knee playing tennis. And when I was a runner on the school track team in grade 12 I had shotputter's quadricep or whatever it was called. Crazy.)

I was at peace with my decision to stop crocheting. I needed my left arm to work a mouse, type and earn myself a livin'. I was prepared to sacrifice crocheting if it meant I could pay my mortgage. I mean - I'm not THAT obsessed with the sport craft. I was getting treatment from my physio, but that didn't mean I hadn't already lined up all the Wollmeise ready for a destash of ginormous proportions.

Echarpe Pointes Violettes scarf - WIP

Anyway, some things happened when my gallbladder attacked. One was that I didn't have the energy or painkiller-free clarity required to craft or swim so sat like a lump relaxing on the sofa most nights. Another was that I had to take a massive chunk of time off work. And spending almost 2 weeks in hospital flat on my back did terrible things for my abs and lats, but amazing things for my left elbow.

When I came home last week, Mum sat on the sofa and crocheted me some coathanger covers. (This is something she is really good at and I'm not so good at. I'm happy to outsource all my coathanger covers to Mum, just like I'm happy for her to knit me socks with the Wollmeise I give her). So she's crocheting, and I'm getting inspired to crochet but am way to groggy and sore, but by Saturday when a lot of the drugs had worn off I was sitting on the sofa crocheting too. More than a couple of rows at a time. Last night I finished the green scarf I'd been dabbling with since January.

Circles scarf

Here's a scarf I made for my friend Julie's birthday back in mid January, before I stopped crocheting. I never blogged it. It's a great little pattern called "Circles Scarf" made with my favourite yarn, Wollmeise 100% merino superwash, and it deserves to be shown off. (Ravelled over here).

In the meantime, I need to block my green scarf (not for a few weeks unless I can get Community Nursing to pitch in - they visit often enough ) and I've already started making a cowl for another friend.  Good times, my friends.  Good, crochety times.

13 comments:

  1. Wow how stunning is that yarn - such a deep rich red!
    Must be so nice to be back at home and able to craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The circles scarf is great isn't it! And that green is fab-o! Glad you are back on the crocheting horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful pieces of crocheted art.

    Now. If you're ever thinking Wollmeise destashing again can you come talk to me? And, assuming you're not going to, do you happen to have any top tips on where to track down some of the stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous colours Michelle. Glad you are finding your way back to craft - that should help the healing process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to see you crocheting again Michelle. They're lovely scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colours as always - hope that you are continuing to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab work! Wish I could crochet and make a pretty red scarf like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The circles scarf is great! What gorgeous colours Michelle.

    Silver MLM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the red and the green scarf. Brilliant!!! Look forward to seeing what you make now that you're all crocheted inspired again... hope the elbow holds up and that you're generally feeling better overall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh such yummy colours! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great pattern and equally great colours - love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending 'get better soon' thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn you make some wonderful crochet goodness. One day I will learn to make stuff this cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.