Thursday, January 6, 2011

Frock-a-rama

There are a lot of skirts and some blouses being made around this joint, but not a lot of frocks. I made a frock last year, and was disappointed in the pattern, fit and fabric. It has now gone to a better home (St Vinnie's) where hopefully someone with a "Burda Shape" and a perkier boobage will fit into it beautifully and forevermore praise my superb overlocking and curse the awful zipper fitting.

Simplicity 2929

But last week I made a frock. See? And it's lovely. And very long. I wanted to take it up a lot but the Mister had an opinion and to be honest, he was right. The fabric lends itself to being a bit more formal and longer. This is actually a dress I could wear to work when we have Frock it up Friday in summertime. I wore it to lunch with a friend yesterday and I did feel a wee bit overdressed, but that's not such a bad thing when I wear skirts and singlets and thongs all day at home and to the pool.

Simplicity 2929

I used Simplicity 2929 * and made the bodice pieces about 2 or 3 inches longer to account for my longer torso. I can't remember - I cut the fabric out out a year ago! Hopefully it was 2 inches, as I've just cut out another one to make in time for the weekend. The bodice does this elegant little blousey thing over the waist, and the waist actually has some hat elastic inserted into the skirt seam to cinch it all in. It's not at all uncomfortable, even with the belt at the waist (made in the same fabric but you really can't see it very well in this photos. I wouldn't want to make this dress in a thicker fabric. This one is in Swiss Cotton, and I probably could have lined the skirt, as the fabric is very soft and a little see-through (if I stand in front of a blazing sun, it is). But I didn't line it, and it looks and sits fine.

I love the little details on this dress. Like the gathered neckline (next time I will gather it a bit better, and start the basting stitches an inch before the pattern says).

Simplicity 2929

And for the first time ever I made a proper loop. I used embroidery floss rather than thread and it turned out beautifully.

Simplicity 2929

* A note to add that Simplicity patterns are currently half price at Lincraft, including this one!

7 comments:

  1. The dress looks lovely Michelle. I'm always in awe of your sewing prowesse. :) You and Nettie are inspiring me to dust off the (not so) old sewing machine for other things, not just quilting. As I said on Nettie's blog, I fully intend to make myself some boxer shorts for summer as I don't have any at the moment. Just need to find some material and a pattern... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. And the small details, like the button loop, make it very special. You look tres elegante, my dear. I love frocks, but only have two. Still looking for the perfect pattern for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The fabric is gorgeous and that button loop is genius. I've done them with ordinary thread but yours looks much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a frock. This one is lovely, and I don't think you should feel overdressed whether you wear it to work or to lunch or just around the house. I think you should feel perfectly dressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely frock Michelle! And is that a Dotty Angel coathanger I spy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dress, and the length is perfect. The front gathers are really lovely, and that button loop just superb - I've been thinking lately that I should use embroidery floss to do mine because in thread they always turn out a bit yukky - yours is exemplary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.