Sunday, December 11, 2005

Summer bag

I have been doing a little quilting lately, but mostly I have been making quite a lot of clothes to update my summer wardrobe. I also needed a summer bag, so last night I made one with some gorgeous Amy Butler "Ginger Bliss" and "Charm" fabric.
Summer bag

This is originally a
Simplicity 4632 pattern, but it barely resembles the actual pattern. Instead of tying the handles, I made them shorter and squared them off, overlapped them and then sewed a vintage button to bring the handles together.
Detail Summer bag


The handles were also too wide and potentially would make my shoulder too hot, so I folded them back towards the top of the bag and then sewed them down with a decorative top stitch.

I also included a mobile phone pocket and another pocket in the lining, plus I inserted some stiff iron-on vilene in the base of the bag to give it some shape.

And may I just say that I am totally in love with Mettler 100% cotton thread for patchwork? Not in love with the price ($4.50 for 150 m) but it gave such a lovely finish on the bag, particularly with the top stitching. I'd never used it before, but bought it because Gutterman didn't have the colour I was after.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful bag. I'm a bag-making addict myself. I love the Amy Butler fabric, of course. Have you ever tried her patterns? Her nappy bag is pretty fun, although, I must admit you wouldn't need a nappy bag now that you have this beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your comments, but if you're anonymous please tell me who you are.